How the Brexit Deal Affects Jobs and Studies

We’ve combed over the small-print of the new Brexit deal to bring you the key details. Urgh, Brexit.

On January 1 the UK officially left the EU, following the referendum in 2016. You may have noticed any changes so far, but the separation will fundamentally change the way we all live, work and travel for decades to come. Eek. 

Not sure how the changes will affect you? We’ve done the boring job of going through all the new rules and regulations so you don’t have to. Here’s the key points, mainly in relation to working and jobs.

What changes do I need to know about?

In order to leave the EU, the UK had to negotiate a settlement package on everything from fishing to mobile roaming charges. Many of the things agreed in the settlement will have little to no visible impact on everyday lives, but there are some things that will. 

Here’s a quick summary of the key changes, because if we included them all we’d be here all day.

  • No more freedom of movement between the UK and EU
  • Points-based immigration system for EU nationals looking to move to Britain
  • No automatic recognition of qualifications between UK and EU countries
  • Businesses will no longer have free access to EU markets and workers
  • England, Wales and Scotland will no longer take part in the Erasmus programme.

Who do the changes affect?

In short, all of us. But obviously some more will be more impacted than others. Here’s the breakdown:

UK nationals living and working in the UK – no changes to work, unless travel to the EU is involved in which case you might need a visa depending on how long you stay. 

UK nationals working/studying in the EU – it depends on the country, but the terms of the agreement should cover them to carry on as normal, though they may have to formally apply for residency. Students that have already started courses in EU countries with reduced fees should not be affected. 

EU nationals working/studying in the UK – if you’ve been living in the UK since before this year (January 1st) then you’re covered by the agreement to continue working or studying here, though if you want to stay long-term then you have to apply for permanent residency by June 30th 2021. Those studying in the UK will be able to finish their studies and fees shouldn’t go up even if they’re currently covered by the Erasmus scheme – the changes only affect those that haven’t started their studies in the UK. 

International workers (not from UK or EU) – no change in terms of how they apply to visas or educational opportunities, though there may be more available now that they are on a level playing field with EU workers.

Find jobs, upskill and follow your fave brands.

Download Placed App

How will it change work and studies?

Industries and businesses that rely heavily on sourcing European talent will be most affected, as workers coming from the EU will now have to go through the formal process of applying for a visa – competing with workers from all across the world. In theory, this should open up more opportunities for UK nationals and international workers – but that is just a theory. 

To legally work and settle in the UK, EU citizens coming to the UK to work will have to apply for one of the following visas:

Skilled worker visa – to qualify for this visa you need to have a job offer from a UK employer that pays above the ‘minimum salary threshold’ (usually £26,000 per year) and speak English at an intermediate level. Application fees apply.

Health and Care visa – health and care workers applying to come into the UK will be fast-tracked: application fees will be reduced, and they will get government support through the application process, providing they have a job offer and intermediate-level English.

Global Talent visa – this one allows people with unique skills to settle in the UK without already having a job offer. More for individuals in leadership positions and those that have achieved something exceptional in their field. 

There are a few other visas available for specific industries, you can get more info here.

—-Featured employers —-


Brexit FAQs

Will I still be able to go on holiday to the EU as a British citizen?

Of course. But if you plan to stay longer than 90 days or work while you’re over there you’ll need to apply for a working visa in that specific country. 

I’m studying in the UK and from a country in the EU, do I have to leave?

No, the new rules do not affect those that were working or studying in the UK prior to 2021. 

How and when do I apply for permanent residency?

You can apply using this link and should do so before the deadline of June 30th. If you have British citizenship already then you won’t need to apply.

Do I have to pay to apply for permanent residency?

No, and if you already applied before the new rules came into place and were charged a fee then you’re entitled to a refund. 

Am I expected to remember all of this?!